In recent years, the nation has seen an explosion in prescription medication abuse. Many experts now consider this to be one of the worst drug epidemics the country has ever experienced. In fact, this is something that should trouble us all. At this time, it’s safe to say that the most abused prescription drugs are painkillers from the opiate family. These medications are dangerous because they serve a useful purpose, making them easy to access.
A List of the Most Abused Prescription Drugs
Who would have thought we are here listing the ten most abused prescription drugs? With over 200 illicit drugs on the streets, you would hope that people would respect the sanctity of prescription drugs. However, that’s not the case. The simple truth is prescription drugs are more affordable and more accessible than illicit designer drugs.
Here’s a list of the prescription drugs that are the most popular among recreational drug users:
- Oxycontin (Oxycodone)–pain medication
- Xanax (Alprazolam)–for anxiety and panic disorders
- Adderall (Amphetamine and Dextroamphetamine)–used to treat hyperactivity disorders
- Ritalin (Methylphenidate–used to treat hyperactivity disorders
- Vicodin (Hydrocodone and Acetaminophen)–painkiller
- Percocet (Oxycodone and Acetaminophen)–painkiller
- Valium (Diazepam)– a sedative used for anxiety and sleep disorders
- Ambien (Zolpidem)– a sedative used for sleep disorders
- Promethazine/Codeine Syrup–cough suppressant
Addressing the Problem
Unfortunately, prescription medications are a necessary evil. When people use them as a doctor prescribes, these medications are a godsend. However, far too many people lack the discipline to use these drugs correctly. Once the abuse starts, it’s like a runaway train.
Since we can’t eliminate the need for prescription drugs, the next best line of defense sits with the addiction treatment industry. When top facilities like Kemah Palms Recovery do their job, we at least have the ability to treat the fallen.
Important Information About Kemah Palms
Our facility is a top painkiller addiction treatment center in Texas. We offer a wide range of treatment services, all of which we integrate into custom treatment plans. Using a modern-day approach to treatment, here’s a partial list of our most popular treatment options:
- Acupuncture therapy
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing
- Neurofeedback Therapy
- Writing Therapy
If you find yourself caught in the cycle of addiction to one of the most abused prescription drugs, you need to get help while you still can. You’ll have to be ready to admit you have an illness with no cure. When you reach that point, you will be prepared to call Kemah Palms at 866.604.1873. The road to a lasting addiction recovery starts with one step. The phone call you make to our treatment facility will serve as your first step towards recovery from addiction.